Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Baby Bella: Being Born!!!


My labor story:

Hi everyone! I know you all want to know exactly what happened (especially those of you who still are expecting) so here goes!

At about midnight on Sunday (Nov. 11), I went to sleep feeling just like always. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled for Monday morning. I woke up around 4:15am...and there was water everywhere...my water completly broke. No warning signs, no plug, no prior discharge. But I knew...time to go to the hospital anyway. I hadn't felt any contractions, but the water just kept coming out! Dorian's aunt came and drove us to the hospital, where I was admitted about an hour later. I wasn't contracting, so they took their time admitting me...go figure. Haha. Anyway, it was kind of embarrassing sitting with a towel under me the whole way, and everywhere I walked and went!

At around 5:30, they ran an IV, and at 6 they gave me pitocin...time to induce contractions, since my water had broken. I was in labor for six hours with what felt like menstral cramps at the beginning, to really bad contractions, when I finally asked for the epidural. The epidural itself didn't hurt or anything...it was NOTHING compared to the contractions. Trust me, by the time you ask for the epidural...it's a waaay better choice. I was at 4cm & 80% effaced when I got it. For the next hour or two, I felt great. I even let Dorian leave to go get something to eat. But by the time his mom and him got back, I could feel my right side...not good. So a little later, they gave me some Demerol along with something to keep me from being nautious, and I felt a little better. They had to wait a little while before they could give me another epidural...so yay...I had to go through contractions until then, which wasn't fun again. Dorian was the best coach ever, and I don't think any daddy could have done better. He helped me focus, and I found that when he put his hand on my forehead and rubbed it hard, it was easier to deal with the pain. After I finally got another epidural (I was 7cm & 90% effaced), I actually slept for a couple of hours. When I woke up again, I was fully dilated. The nurse could feel her head already, so 20 minutes later of some seriously hard pushing, I got her out!

While I was working on getting her head out, sometime, I had an epistotomy. I didn't even feel it, as you can possibly imagine.

When she came out, Dorian cut her cord, and the nurses let her rest on my chest for a few seconds, then took her to be cleaned, and doctor stitched me up! I think he took quite a few stitches, because I seem to remember it taking a long time. At least my second epidural worked, because I didn't really feel him stitch me either.

So overall, 18hrs of labor. Isabella Christine was born on November 13th 2007 at 12:45 pacific standard time, weighing 7lbs 10oz. She was 20 inches long, 10 days early, and she looks beautiful!

The Update:

I just got home, and Bella is still in the (NICU) at the hospital, because I also had developed a fever that I didn't even really know about while I was having her. They are running anti-biotics through her system for a few days just in case. So I'm home, and we're running back and forth to the hospital to see her now.

We took 2 pictures of her while she's still at the hospital, but I'm sure there will be many more to come.

That's the story and the update! If you read it all, that's awesome!!! I know it was a lot. But I'm a mommy now!!!

<3>


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dont worry my story was worst then your i didnt get a epidural and got a huge cut plus an epis... Mayra